Friday, March 9, 2012

The Debt in a Dollar


Ever really looked at a dollar bill? Ever read what is written on one? 
Go ahead, take one out now and really look at it.
What does it really mean to have that dollar in your hand?
 It reads "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."
 I never really put together that having money really means having debt. However much money I have makes me indebted to it. How much I have is how much I owe. Things need to be maintained, paid for monthly and of course, the more I have the more I want. My whole world is wrapped up in how much debt I can acquire. I don't want to worship the all mighty buck, but measure my wealth in so many other ways today. 

How come teachers aren't important for supporting our children? How come the regular topics on the news are what the dow closed at and how much we really need to start another war? Why not dedicate some air time to the wonderful, selfless deeds our citizens do and organizations that clean up pollution, save the animals or save the rain forests? Or how about people for stopping domestic violence,  helping the needy or the homeless? When did we start hating and blaming the poor for being poor?  "If you don't have a job and your'e not rich, blame yourself" seems to be the new motto.


With every dollar you spend, you are giving out your vote. 
Whoever gets that dollar is who you are supporting...it is your vote. 
Have you thought about how you want your country to look or who you want to have power and say over it? Is it Walmart? Unfortunately with the way this country has slowly been torn apart with an increasing wealth gap, this is the only choice left for many. Voting against their own best interest. Voting for the companies increasing that wealth chasm. 
 These are some really good questions I am making myself look at. We started measuring the wealth of this country by the gross domestic product and that has been the gage and our downfall ever since. 

How come so many powerful people can't see what good their time and money could do for this country or this planet by still making a profit? So many questions and yet I can do my small part in where I shop, how I treat my child and the people around me, who I support and what I listen to. Next time some a**hole cuts me off in traffic, let me remember that I am sure I have been that a**hole before by accident or on purpose. Perhaps at that moment I can just have compassion for them. I remember to breathe and keep my eye on the prize of being happy and being human.



So my individual part is to turn off my television more often, spend more time with my child, be a part of something good and spread my support for what I think is important. Tout my message that people are important over profit, schools are more important than banks and teachers should make as much as doctors with the same respect. Children are our best commodity. Screw the gdp. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate money. It's evil and I hate ven more that I have to have it to even remotely have any kind of acceptable life.

Post a Comment